The salto family

The salto family
Welcome all

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Frozen dinners

Oh no! you say not for me. But I feel that you can say yes to these quick time savers once in awhile. I have been reading some articles that agree with me. These meals have really come a long way from the days of TV dinners. They contain more nutrients, less fat and salt and
PORTION control. Did you think of that?
Quick and Easy
Vegetables
Single serving for the single person
Easy prep for those times when we are feeling down, sore, pain, disability.
More Economical than eating out but not for every day use.

From one article found in Sparks a dietitian gave these hints :
Try for taste. Not all frozen meals are created equally.
Beware of pot pies, Hungry Man, extra cheese.
Choose selections that contain source of protein-no more than 300-400 calories.
Watch the saturated fat and sodium content.
Add a side salad with low calorie dressing or fruit to add a nice extra touch and balance to your meal.
I have found that I am eating more of these meals in order to add some protein to my diet. As I have mentioned, I do add salad or fruit. This gives me a variety away from from my vegetables that I normally eat for lunch and dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment